Title: Production Chemist II
Reports to: Production Supervisor
General Summary/Objective (Purpose of position)
The Production Chemist II position is located in Mountain View, CA. Under direct supervision, the Production Chemist II is primarily responsible for manufacturing Protein solutions and Buffers. Duties also include performing in- process testing in accordance with established procedures and creating/updating documents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manufacture extracts, buffers and reagents according to cGMP, batch records, MOP, SOP, WI and safety policies.
- Pay extreme attention to batch record details to ensure all procedures are closely followed
- Perform protein determination assays.
- Ensure timely production and delivery of components to inventory.
- Revise BOM, MBR, MOP and SOP, when needed.
- Perform SDS-PAGE and Western blot on extracts.
- Properly handle and dispose of hazardous waste.
- Ensure timely completion of company required training assignments.
- Routinely maintain/organize work areas (Lab bench, hoods, coldroom, etc.) and other designated areas in the manufacturing facility.
Position Requirements (Knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform satisfactorily in the position)
- General knowledge of cGMP and standard laboratory methods.
- Advanced math skills preferred, must be able to calculate ratios, molarity and percentages
- Basic computer skills – Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Ability to follow procedures.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work with personnel at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to effectively organize, multitask, and work in a fast-paced, deadline driven work environment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree.
- Experience with HPLC, protein purification and characterization, filtration, dialysis (preferred)
- 2+ years’ experience in manufacturing in a cGMP environment in biotech, pharmaceutical or other science related industry (preferred)
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Laboratory Environment.
- Potential exposure to a cold room (2-8°C) environment for up to 30 minutes continuously at a time.
- Potential exposure to human blood serum and hazardous chemicals.
- Must wear protective equipment such as safety glasses, laboratory coats, hairnets, face shields and any relevant equipment deemed as necessary.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds is preferred.
- Ability to work in a cold room (2-8°C) environment for up to 30 minutes continuously at a time (Occasionally).
- Ability to sit or stand, up to 2 hours continuously at a time and up to 8 hours total in a day.
- Ability to visually discern printed characters as small as 1/16”.
Position type and expected hours of work
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Clean supplies and equipment
- Ensure equipment is in working order, calibrated and under Preventative Maintenance Program.
Affirmative action plan/equal employer opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement
Hitachi Chemical Diagnostics, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hitachi Chemical Diagnostics, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Hitachi management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.