Title: Distribution-Shipping Associate
Reports to: Operations Manager
Department: Manufacturing Operations
General Summary/Objective (Purpose of position)
The Distribution-Shipping Associate performs a variety of tasks to include reading production schedules, sorting materials; filling orders, distributing orders to production workers; obtaining materials and items from receiving or production areas. Shipping duties includes familiarity with the application of shipping labels, determining weights, measurements, and counts, and being aware of safety considerations. It also includes preparations for outgoing domestic shipments and may include some receiving. This role may include forklift duties and the ability to lift heavy items.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Read production schedules, customer orders, work orders, shipping order, or requisitions to determine items to be moved, gathered or distributed.
- Convey materials and items from receiving or production areas to storage or to other designated areas.
- Weigh or count items for distribution within plant to ensure conformance to company standard.
- Sort and place materials or items on racks, shelves, bins or in refrigerated rooms according to type, size, style, and color or product code.
- Fill requisitions, customer orders, work orders, or requests for materials, tools or other stock items and distribute items to production workers or assembly line.
- Mark materials with identifying information and Log materials or item counts received or distributed in the ERP System. Compare identifying information, count, weigh, or measure items of incoming and outgoing shipments to verify information against bills of lading, invoices, orders, or other records
- Determine method of shipment and specifications, affix appropriate shipping labels, stamps or stencils on a variety of containers, post weights and shipping charges and affix correct shipping cost.
- Examine incoming shipments, reject damaged items, record shortages and correspond with shipper to rectify damages and shortages. Route items to departments in timely manner.
Position Requirements (Knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform satisfactorily in the position)
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) and understand in English (e.g. safety rules, standard operating procedures and procedure manuals).
- Ability to multi-task with efficiency
- Detail oriented and critical thinking skills
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Inventory Control Systems.
- Ability to open bales, crates and other containers.
- Effective computer skills and working knowledge of ERP system.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and follow instructions.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma
- At least 1 year of related experience and/or equivalent training (preferred)
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Warehouse environment
- Hot and cold temperatures (seasonal)
- Loud noises (occasional)
- Potential exposure to human blood serum, ozone and hazardous chemicals
- Must wear protective equipment such as safety shoes, safety glasses, laboratory coats, hairnets, hard hats, face shields and any relevant equipment as required.
- Exposure to refrigerated areas for up to 20 minutes at a time
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 15 pounds
- Long periods of standing and sitting (continuously for up to 3 hours at a time and up to 8 hours total in a day)
- Frequent use of hands
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move more than 40 pounds (with assistance).
Position type and expected hours of work
- Full Time
- Must be able to work flexible schedules (including nights, weekends, overtime) as needed.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Affirmative action plan/equal employer opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement
Hitachi Chemical Diagnostics, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hitachi Chemical Diagnostics, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Hitachi management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.