Title: Research Assistant I
Reports to: R&D Supervisor
Department: Research and Development
General Summary/Objective (Purpose of position)
The Research Assistant I is located in Mountain View, CA. This is an entry level position in the field of R&D, where the employee will perform basic laboratory tasks, inventory control of materials, and assist with on-going R&D projects.
This position offers the following benefit options: Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, Life and AD&D Insurance and many others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- May make detailed observations and document those observations.
- Assist in the consolidation and aliquoting of reagents
- Organize and monitor laboratory equipment and supplies
- Perform a variety of research/laboratory tasks and experiments under direct supervision
Position Requirements (Knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform satisfactorily in the position)
- Basic computer skills
- Basic biochemical and / or chemical techniques
- Intermediate math knowledge – algebra or above
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
Education and Experience
- AA degree with scientific background and 0-1 years working experience (preferred) or
- High School Diploma with basic college course work in laboratory classes
- Computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Professional Office Environment
- Laboratory Environment
- Potential exposure to chemical/hazardous materials and bio-hazardous waste
- Potential Exposure to a cold room (2-8°C) environment for up to 20 minutes at a time
- Must wear protective equipment such as safety glasses, lab coats, hairnets, hard hats, face shields and any relevant equipment deemed as necessary.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Frequent sitting and standing (for up to 2 hours at a time and up to 8 hours total in a day)
- Frequent use of hands (for up to 2 hours at a time and up to 8 hours total in a day)
- Frequent use of computers (for up to 2 hours at a time and up to 8 hours total in a day)
Position type and expected hours of work
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Affirmative action plan/equal employer opportunity (AAP/EEO) statement
Hitachi Chemical Diagnostics, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hitachi Chemical Diagnostics, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Hitachi management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.